Languages are taught throughout KS2 with a specialist in year 6. Teachers have access to a range of schemes to support their planning and teaching their languages lesson. The generally agreed language in school is French as this is in keeping with some of the surrounding schools (information gathered at regular MfL network meetings). However, when it is appropriate other languages are sometimes explored through topic sessions.
National Curriculum Aims
- listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help*
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases*
- present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences*
- read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- describe people, places, things and actions orally* and in writing
- Online access to ilanguages (French) for years 3-5.
- A range of French fiction books.
- NYCC French scheme for years 3-6.
- Early start French scheme for years 1-2.
- As a school we engage with the local MfL network meetings.
- Year 6 children engage in 3 ‘immersion’ French days at Sherburn High school throughout the year. The aim of these sessions are to develop a love of language learning before the transition to high school.
- Year 5 children take part in the annual French day event hosted by Sherburn High School where they are immersed in French learning and speaking for the day.
French Curriculum Progression Framework