School Meals Information
At Sherburn Hungate we aim to provide healthy, nutritious and balanced meals for the students in our care and for this reason, we cook and prepare all our food in-house.
Every day members of the team cook fresh food on site ready for lunch time. Each day there is the choice of a main meal, a jacket potato, a sandwich/wrap or a vegetarian option. Alongside this there is a salad bar and a choice of desserts and fruit.
If you would like your child to have a school meal, but are struggling financially, please check the NYCC website here to see if you are eligible for Free School Meals.
Free School Meals Application Forms
Bringing enjoyment to school lunchtimes with local, fresh, great quality food being at the heart of what we do.
Our Catering service has been operational for over 40 years, and we operate in more than 240 education sites (plus 1 retail outlet) in, and around Yorkshire. We are knowledgeable, and continuously evolving and changing in-line with the up-to-date trends and requirements – whilst always committing to great quality and nutritionally balanced food.
Our brilliant three-weekly menu focus’ on a hot meal or grab and go option, dependent on the school and age, and is served with a selection of healthy side dishes, bread (for primary schools) and a well-stocked salad bar where requested. View your schools menus to the right.
Pupils use a lot of energy throughout the day, and eating a school meal can help them to stay fuller for longer and help them concentrate in lessons. School meals offer:
- Hot, healthy and nutritionally balanced menus which are compliant to the School Food Standards, and that are nutritionally analysed and then checked by a Registered Nutritionist.
- A meal that cares about the environment; we are accredited by the Soil Association Food for Life Bronze Award meaning we only use free-range eggs, meat that is Red Tractor, and fish that is caught sustainably.
- Value for money for a two-course meal.
- A selection of homemade products (75% of our meals are cooked daily on-site!), and meals that pupils will recognise; providing choice and a variety to suit all tastes.
- The convenience for not needing to prepare packed lunches.
- Higher concentration in lessons following a fulfilling lunchtime meal.
- Creating a continuous learning environment; highlighting the social skills involved with eating with others and making choices.
- A dining space in which they can feel relaxed with friends, in a supervised environment.
We also are proud to be able to work with you on any specific dietary requirements your pupils may have.
We promote local and fresh; with 75% of our meals being cooked daily on-site, and with ingredients from our three main suppliers located within Yorkshire to reduce our carbon footprint, and promote local businesses. The understanding of field to fork is important to us, and with this in mind we provide fun and educational cookery classes for pupils (and parents too) where requested by our passionate and talented Development and Training team; all with numerous years’ experience in the catering and educational setting. To make this more accessible and frequent, we are looking to add these online to encourage an easy access opportunity into learning about food. Stay tuned by following our NYES social media accounts for when this gets launched, and when we’re running competitions!
Food should be fun; so as well as the opportunity of cookery classes, we hold promotional days throughout the year. Each promotional day has a different theme, and all marketing links to this; including an activity sheet which is a further way for pupils to enjoy the celebration. Ask your school for upcoming promotions or competitions. You can also find these on the back of your menu, as well as a seasonal recipe, and nutrition fact.
We care about our customers, our team, and our brand values; ensuring we provide an enjoyable lunchtime experience with local, fresh, and great quality food for all. If you have any feedback, please let your school know, and our dedicated Area Managers will be able to help.
As you can see, we have all the ingredients for a fantastic and knowledgeable catering service for you!